Psychiatric Technician Program
Available in the Following Campuses
Prerequisite Start Date: July 7, 2015
Core Program Start Date: September 28, 2015
We, at Gurnick Academy of Medical Arts, consider clinical experience one of the most important parts of the medical education. Students are required to be rotated throughout our affiliated medical facilities, while attending the school.
All applicants must:
- Meet with program’s Admission Advisor to go over all required disclosures and receive full information prior to enrolling to Gurnick Academy of Medical Arts.
- Meet with Financial Aid Advisor to go over all required disclosures and receive full information prior to enrolling to Gurnick Academy of Medical Arts.
- Have a High School Diploma from an approved/accredited High School, or a GED and be at least 18 years of age to be able to enroll to core program (Please ask Admission Advisor for more details and for the list of approved High Schools).
- Pay all applicable fees, as per the current published fee schedule prior to the issuance of an enrollment agreement or make other payment arrangements acceptable to the academy.
- Comply with program’s performance requirements. Make sure to read Program’s performance requirements in Program Performance Requirements section below
- Complete the Entrance Exam (currently: Scholastic Level Exam (SLE)) with a minimum score of 19.
- Complete the required prerequisite course with a passing score in order to begin the core
program. See Prerequisite and Corequisites policy for more details.
- Some Campuses (in cases such as if the applicant pool might be larger than the number of available seats at the desired campus location) may require an additional step: an interview with the Program Director Coordinator or designee.
- Comply with program’s performance requirements. Make sure to read Program Performance Requirements section.
Program Length and Schedule
14 months (48 weeks/1,530 hours)
Didactic / Lab Sessions Schedule
Morning: 9:00 am — 2:00 pm
Clinical Sessions Schedule
Morning: 6:30 am — 3:30 pm
The didactic training correlates with the lab and clinical education.
Total Program Cost: $24,832.50
Prerequisite Fee (additional, if applicable): $1,601.00
Financial aid is available for those who qualify. Click here for more information about Financial Assistance.
For details please call:
- (925) 687-9555 Concord
State Certification for Psychiatric Technicians
Find more information about Licensure, Certification and Registry Disclaimer.
Click here for license examination pass rate information.
Psychiatric Technician Job Outlook and Salary
There is a shortage of trained and experienced psych techs in California, with constant demand in the public sector. Most jobs are concentrated near state hospitals, but there are many other jobs available within the prison systems, private mental health care facilities and also hospitals are recognizing the use of Psychiatric Technicians on mental health units.
Usually Licensed Psychiatric Technicians are employed by:
- State Hospitals
- Day Treatment Centers
- Developmental Centers
- Correctional Facilities
- Psychiatric Hospitals & Clinics
- Psychiatric Technician Programs
- Geropsychiatric Centers
- Residential Care Facilities
- Vocational Training Centers
Facts and Fun Statistics
This is a new section for many of you who expressed interest in such facts as the ones below about our Academy and our Programs. Psychiatric Technician Program is offered at Concord Campus only. Let us share with you some facts:
- Most of Psychiatric Technician students are from Fairfield, Concord, Modesto, Vacaville and Vallejo.
- According to our statistical data more than 28% psychiatric students are from: Brentwood, Martinez, Sacramento, Santa Rosa, Tracy.
- Students from Ceres, Fremont, Oakland, Pinole, Riverbank, San Bruno, Stockton and other nearby locations combine 21% of our student population.
Gainful Employment Disclosure Information
Gurnick Academy is committed to providing thorough and timely vocational medical training to our students so they may obtain gainful employment.
Our institution has provided program specific information regarding gainful employment in compliance with the new Gainful Employment regulations for Title IV eligible institutions, put forward by the U.S. Department of Education, in July 2011.
All required information can be found throughout this page.