Financial Aid Assistant
- Job Type: Admin/Clerical/Support
- Job Status: Open
- Date Posted: Nov 17, 2017
- Campus: Corporate Office
- Location: San Mateo
- Start Date: TBD
- Duration: TBD
Gurnick Academy of Medical Arts is a leading Bay Area private healthcare college offering an extensive variety of nursing and allied healthcare programs such as: Vocational Nurse, Psychiatric Technician and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN pathway) as well as Nursing Assistant, Medical Assistant, Dental Assistant and Phlebotomy Technician and healthcare programs: Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant, Ultrasound Technology, MRI, Radiologic Technology, and Bachelor of Science in Diagnostic Medical Imaging.
We are currently seeking a Financial Aid Assistant for our Corporate Office in San Mateo.
The Financial Aid Assistant is responsible for executing the administrative and technical duties that specialize in areas of financial aid. These duties may include but are not limited to: updating and maintaining appropriate records and multiple databases, preparing and interpreting documents, manuals, forms, and reports, maintaining knowledge of constantly changing regulations and procedures, and advising students and colleagues when necessary.
The Financial Aid Assistant may also assist in determining students’ eligibility for financial aid, assist in the application process for financial aid, calculation of tuition amounts/adjustments, and council students on the implications of debt, and the cash flow and timing requirements of loan payback.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Financial Aid Assistance
- Maintains various computer and manual records and files ensuring compliance with documentation for future reference.
- Responds to inquiries of staff, outside agencies, and/or students for the purpose of providing information and/or direction.
- Participates in various meetings for the purpose of sharing information and/or improving one’s skills/knowledge.
- Attend and assist at financial aid meetings and workshops.
- Assists Financial Aid Advisor with various tasks and projects
- Loan Processing, Determination, and Administration
- Perform qualifying interview with prospective students
- Assist students as necessary to complete the FAFSA online
- Collect verification documentation on selected students and manage students’ hard copy FA files for completeness and accuracy
- Assist students in applying for any other non Title IV funding available to them
- Make satisfactory arrangements with students for any calculated unfunded balance
- Ensure that students awarded Federal Student loan funds have completed Entrance Counseling
- Conduct exit interviews with all graduation and withdrawing students
- Assist in the collections of unfunded balance payments as requested by the Campus Director or Campus Administrative Manager
- Assist in yearly compliance audit and in program reviews
- Ensure that GAMA student records / files comply with accreditation and governmental agencies rules and policies including, but not limited to – ABHES, BVNPT, ARMRIT, JRCERT, JRC-DMS, DOE, etc.
- 4 year college degree preferred
- 1 year prior work experience in financial aid, collections, and lending
- Customer service experience desirable
- Organizational knowledge of educational institutions
- Knowledge of software applications including Word, Excel, Access
- Knowledge of filing systems
- Ability to meet deadlines mandatory
- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner
- Excellent attention to detail
- Prior demonstrated experience with student tracking software / systems
- Excellent communication and listening skills
- Ability to guide employees and council students
- Remains open to others' ideas and will consider alternate solutions
- Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations
- Demonstrates group presentation skills
- Writes clearly and informatively
- Presents numerical data effectively
- Supports everyone's efforts to succeed
- Demonstrates a professional attitude to the student population
- Able to manage student expectations as a result of student complaints
- Understands roles and reporting relationships in the organization