B.S. in Diagnostic Medical Imaging (B.S. in DMI)
The online Bachelor of Science in Diagnostic Medical Imaging (BSDMI) degree provides the certified imaging professional with foundational skills necessary to advance within the profession. Enhanced marketability is an important motive for acquiring a Bachelor’s Degree in Diagnostic Medical Imaging. Holding a Bachelor’s degree makes it possible to advance in the fields of radiology, business, IT, and public health. Positions in administration, management, and education generally require advanced degrees. To further the imaging professional’s career the applicant can choose from eight specialty tracks.
- Imaging Informatics – Training in the Imaging Informatics courses will prepare the student for the role of PACS / RIS administrator.
- Leadership and Management – Training in the Leadership and Management courses will prepare the student for positions in healthcare administration and management.
- Education – Training in the Education courses will prepare the student for a career in imaging education (depending on minimum course enrollment.
- Mammography – Training in the Mammography courses will include all MQSA mandated material as well as an emphasis on mammography registry review. This track will cover all ARRT mammography exam content specifications as well as serve as a review for the California state mammography exam and include the required ARRT 16 hours of structured education for the Mammography post-primary examination.
- Computed Tomograph – Training in the CT courses will include an overview of cross-sectional images of the body and offers didactic educational experiences that will provide the student with the necessary knowledge and skills to become an entry-level CT technologist. Students will learn the physics and instrumentation of computed tomography, clinical procedures and protocols, patient care and radiation safety with a registry review to help prepare students for the ARRT post-primary exam. The completion of this track will meet the ARRT 16 hours of structured education for the CT post-primary examination
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) – Training in the MRI courses will include the didactic framework covering physical principles of MRI, advanced applications of MRI including sectional anatomy, and MRI Safety and Registry Review. The completion of this track will meet the ARRT 16 hours of structured education for the MRI post-primary examination.
- Vascular Sonography – Training in the Vascular Sonography courses will include a complete overview of vascular sonography principles and hemodynamics. In addition, the courses will provide complete didactic instruction covering vascular procedures and protocols for extremities, abdominal, and miscellaneous portions of the body. The completion of this track will meet the ARRT 16 hours of structured education for the Vascular Sonography post-primary examination.
- Special Imaging Procedures – Training in the Special Imaging Procedures courses will include a variety of specialty imaging procedures including principles of bone densitometry, principles of a variety of advanced interventional procedures, and also an overview course covering the advanced medical imaging pathology.
The BSDMI degree is available entirely through distance education delivery method. This program offers advancement for technologists who are unable to attend traditional college. Registered technologists may earn up to 70 semester credit hours of advanced standing. The courses are listed in Table 30 and include courses that will enhance the student’s understanding of medical imaging as well as the specialty courses depending on which track the student chooses.
Please review the following requirements:
- General Admission Requirements for All Prorgams
- Additional Admission Requirements per Program
- Minimum Requirements for Students Enrolling in Distance Education Courses
B.S. in DMI Program Length and Schedule
3 Semesters x 15 weeks each (45 weeks)
Total 120 Semester Credit Hours: 50 Semester Credit Hours (excluding 70 Semester Credit Hours transferring in as a prerequisite).
|Registration Fee (non-refundable)||$75.00|
|Textbooks & Materials||$500.00|
Gurnick Alumni Grant: $2,000.00
Financial aid is available for those who qualify. Click here for more information about Financial Assistance.
For details please call: