A.S. in Physical Therapist Assistant Program (A.S. in PTA)
San Mateo Campus
Application Deadline: September 3, 2019
Program Start Date: January 6, 2020
Physical Therapist assistants (PTAs) provide physical therapy services under the direction and supervision of a licensed physical therapist. PTAs help people of all ages who have medical problems, or other health-related conditions that limit their ability to move and perform functional activities in their daily lives. PTAs work in a variety of settings including hospitals, private practices, outpatient clinics, home health, nursing homes, schools, sports facilities, and more. PTAs may also measure changes in the patient's performance as a result of the physical therapy provided. Care provided by a PTA may include teaching patients/clients exercise for mobility, strength and coordination, training for activities such as walking with crutches, canes, or walkers, massage, and the use of physical agents and electrotherapy such as ultrasound and electrical stimulation.
PTAs must complete a 2-year associate's degree and are licensed, certified, or registered in most states. Source: American Physical Therapy Association.
The PTA Program is full time during the day. Clinical Affiliations are full time during the day at various facilities in the San Francisco Bay Area.
The Associate of Science in PTA Program at Gurnick Academy of Medical Arts is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Phsyical Therapy Education (CAPTE), 1111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, Virginia, 22314; telephone: 703-706-3245; email; website: . If needing to contact the program/institution directly, please call 650-425-9672 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We, at Gurnick Academy of Medical Arts, consider clinical experience one of the most important parts of the medical education. Students are required to be rotated throughout our affiliated medical facilities, while attending our physical therapy assistant school.
A.S. in PTA Program Length and Schedule
80 weeks including prerequisites taken prior to enrolling in the
5 days varying Monday through Friday for up to 8 hours
The didactic training correlates with the lab and clinical education.
The table below reflects upcoming future starts only.
|Registration Fee (non-refundable)||$100.00|
|Personal Tablet w/Keyboard Fee (non-refundable)||$750.00|
Financial aid is available for those who qualify. Click here for more information about Financial Assistance.
For details please call:
Licensure and Certification for Physical Therapist Assistants in California
Find more information about licensure in our Catalog with Addendum.
Job Outlook and Salary for Physical Therapist Assistant
- ONET profile for PTAs.
- Occupational Profile for Physical Therapist Assistant State of California Employment Development Department.
- Detailed Guide for Physical Therapist Assistant in San Francisco Bay Area.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please click on the link for PTA program FAQ.
Facts and Fun Statistics
This is a new section for many of you who expressed interest in such facts as the ones below about our Academy and our Programs. PTA program is offered at San Mateo Campus only. Let us share with you some facts:
- More than 48% of our Main Campus, San Mateo campus: students come from Bay Area cities: Daly City, San Francisco, San Mateo, Hayward and South San Francisco. 29% from other Bay Area cities - Fremont, Newark, Redwood City, San Bruno, San Carlos, San Jose, San Leandro and Sunnyvale.
- Many students come from Concord, Oakland, Vallejo, Alameda, Berkeley, Dublin, Livermore, Pleasant Hill, Richmond, San Ramon, Vacaville and Walnut Creek.
- Some students come from Northern California and Central Valley cities: Fresno, Modesto, Merced, Stockton, Tracy, Turlock, Visalia, Santa Rosa and many others.