IV Therapy/Blood Withdrawal Course
Online Registration for Classes
Available in the Following Campuses
BVNPT CE Provider Approval Code: V-10776
BVNPT CE Provider Approval Code: V-10707
BVNPT CE Provider Approval Code: V-10737
BVNPT CE Provider Approval Code: V-10747
Class schedules are subject to change. Gurnick Academy might cancel the upcoming course schedule if the minimum enrollment of 15 students is not met within one week of the proposed start date. Students who opt not to register for the following course schedule will be subject to Gurnick Academy of Medical Arts' IV Therapy/Blood Withdrawal Course Refund Policy.
In order to complete the clinical portion of the course, all participants are required to bring a volunteer to participate in the venipuncture skills check on the final day of the course.
IV course is a Continuing Education Course and is not accredited and is intended for professionals that brings participants up to date in knowledge and skills.
This is a 36 hour course consisting of 27 hours of lecture and nine (9) hours of clinical experience. The course is designed to enable the Licensed Vocational Nurse to safely initiate and maintain intravenous therapy in the clinical setting. LVNs successfully completing the course will be certified by the California Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technician Examiners to initiate and superimpose intravenous fluids and blood withdrawal.
Prior registration applicants must meet the following admission criteria:
Applicant must provide a valid high school diploma or GED
Applicant must provide a proof of one of the following:
- A current and valid California LVN license
- Senior standing in a California Vocational Nurse Program
- A graduate of a California Vocational Nurse program
- Interim Permit status for California LVN licensure
- Licensed RN (CA state)
- Licensed physician (CA state)
Applicants must register online through our website. In order to complete registration applicant must first select IV Therapy/Blood Withdrawal Course on CE Courses page (This Page). Choose an appropriate campus and desired start date and click on Registration button. Follow the required steps to complete registration. Students must contact Admission Advisors to follow up with the registration completion.
The course is three (3) days of nine (9) hours of didactic training on the theory behind the practice and principles of intravenous therapy and blood withdrawal within the scope of practice for LVNs, RNs, and licensed physicians, in the state of California, and one (1) nine (9) hour day of clinical practicum in the clinical skills lab setting in which each student must complete a minimum of three (3) individually supervised successful venipunctures and three (3) individually supervised skin punctures (capillary blood withdrawal) on live human subjects.
Normal completion time for this course is one (1) week excluding any holidays and vacation times.
Gurnick Academy of Medical Arts Students/Graduates:
Total Course Fee: $315.50
This is the total amount due at registration
Non-Gurnick Academy of Medical Arts Students/Graduates:
Total Course Fee: $350.50
This is the total amount due at registration
Frequently Asked Questions
Facts and Fun Statistics
This is a new section for many of you who expressed interest in such facts as the ones below about our Academy and our Programs. IV Theraphy/Blood Withdrawal Course is offered at all campus locations. Let us share with you some facts:
- More than 48% of our Main Campus, San Mateo campus: students come from Daly City, San Francisco, San Mateo, Hayward and South San Francisco. 29% from other Bay Area cities - Fremont, Newark, Redwood City, San Bruno, San Carlos, San Jose, San Leandro and Sunnyvale.
- More than 57% of our Concord Campus: students come from Antioch, Bay Point, Brentwood, Concord, Fairfield, Oakland, Pittsburg and Vallejo, California. 23% come from Alameda, Berkeley, Dublin, Livermore, Oakley, Pleasant Hill, Richmond, San Ramon, Vacaville and Walnut Creek.
- More than 47% of our Fresno Campus: students come from Fresno. More than 35% of our Modesto Campus: students come from Modesto. Of course, there are many students from neighboring cities to Modesto and Fresno who choose Gurnick Academy. For example, Modesto campus has students from Atwater, Ceres, Escalon, Livingston, Manteca, Merced, Oakdale, Riverbank, Sonora, Stockton, Tracy, Turlock (50.5%), and Fresno - from Clovis, Hanford, Madera, Sanger and Visalia (30.5%).