Medical Assistant Program
Available in the Following Campuses
Medical Assistant Graduates in San Mateo, Concord or Fresno Campuses are eligible to take a free phlebotomy technician course. This complementary course is intended to provide the entry-level student with a solid foundation in clinical and administrative duties needed for a successful entry into the medical field. MA programs and complementary phlebotomy course prepare you for the following three (3) certifications:
- National Certified Medical Assistant
- National Certified EKG Technician
- California Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT-1) / National Certified Phlebotomy Technician
A Medical Assistant works in a physician or other health practitioner's office and is considered an indispensable force. A Medical Assistant performs a variety of administrative and clinical tasks. Gurnick Academy of Medical Arts Medical Assistant students will be taught the principles of front and back office medical assisting. They will be introduced to the fundamentals of anatomy and physiology.
Students will practice and become adept at a variety of clinical skills including patient education, phlebotomy, and performing first aid. The program includes didactic and laboratory hands-on training as well as a clinical externship component where each student will be placed in one of a variety of facilities.
Medical Assistants in other states as well as in California may also be called: Certified Medical Assistants (CMA), Medical Office Assistants, Optometric Assistants, Clinical Assistants, Registered Medical Assistants, Certified Ophthalmic Technicians, Chiropractor Assistants, and Ophthalmic Assistants.
We, at Gurnick Academy of Medical Arts, consider clinical experience one of the most important parts of the medical education. Students will be provided with clinical training at one of the affiliated clinical sites, while attending our medical assistant school.
Please review the following requirements:
Program Length and Schedule
8 months (30 weeks/941 hours/43 quarter credit hours)
5 days varying Monday through Friday for up to 8 hours
New Evening Classes Enrolling Now at our San Mateo, Concord,
and Fresno Campuses!
The didactic training correlates with the lab and clinical education.
The table below reflects upcoming future starts only.
|Registration Fee (non-refundable)||$75.00|
|Books & Materials||$709.00|
|Uniform Fee (2 sets)||$60.00|
|Library Fee* (non-refundable)||$44.00|
|Tuition Fee (CPR, CET Exam, prep. tests, CMA test attempt 1 fees included)||$12,703.50|
|* Library Fee Cost is calculated by the calendar year and is dependent on the start date and duration of the program.|
Financial aid is available for those who qualify. Click here for more information about Financial Assistance.
For details please call:
Medical Assistant Certification in California
Find more information about Certification for Medical Assistants in California in the section Catalog and Addendum.in our
Medical Assistant Job Outlook and Salary
Click on the link for Occupational Profile for Medical Assistants in California provided by State of California Employment Development Department. Additionally, some information is presented by County: Medical Assistants in San Francisco Bay Area, Medical Assistants in East Bay Area, Medical Assistants in Fresno County, Medical Assistants in Stanislaus County.
Frequently Asked Questions
Facts and Fun Statistics
This is a new section for many of you who expressed interest in such facts as the ones below about our Academy and our Programs. Medical Assistant Program is offered at all campus locations of our medical assistant school. Let us share with you some facts:
- More than 48% of our Main Campus, San Mateo campus: students come from Daly City, San Francisco, San Mateo, Hayward and South San Francisco. 29% from other Bay Area cities - Fremont, Newark, Redwood City, San Bruno, San Carlos, San Jose, San Leandro and Sunnyvale.
- More than 57% of our Concord Campus: students come from Antioch, Bay Point, Brentwood, Concord, Fairfield, Oakland, Pittsburg and Vallejo, California. 23% come from Alameda, Berkeley, Dublin, Livermore, Oakley, Pleasant Hill, Richmond, San Ramon, Vacaville and Walnut Creek.
- More than 47% of our Fresno Campus: students come from Fresno. More than 35% of our Modesto Campus: students come from Modesto. Of course there are many nursing students from neighboring cities to Modesto and Fresno who choose Gurnick Academy. For example, Modesto campus has students from Atwater, Ceres, Escalon, Livingston, Manteca, Merced, Oakdale, Riverbank, Sonora, Stockton, Tracy, Turlock (50.5%), and Fresno - from Clovis, Hanford, Madera, Sanger and Visalia (30.5%).
Gainful Employment Disclosure Information
Gurnick Academy is committed to providing thorough and timely vocational medical training to our students so they may obtain gainful employment.
Our institution has provided program specific information regarding gainful employment in compliance with the new Gainful Employment regulations for Title IV eligible institutions, put forward by the U.S. Department of Education, in July 2011.
All required information can be found throughout this page.