Physical Therapist Assistant Program - AS Degree
Available in the Following Campuses
2014 Open House Dates: April 17, May 15, June 19, July 17, August 14 - contact Admissions for a reservation at (650) 685-6616 x 125
Application Deadline: September 1, 2014
Program Start Date: January 5, 2015
Effective July 31,2013, the PTA program at Gurnick Academy of Medical Arts, has been granted Candidate for Accreditation status by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (1111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, VA, 22314; phone: 703-706-3245; email: firstname.lastname@example.org). Candidate for Accreditation is a pre-accreditation status of affiliation with the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education that indicates that the program may matriculate students in technical/professional courses and that the program is progressing toward accreditation. Candidate for Accreditation is not an accreditation status nor does it assure eventual accreditation.
The Physical Therapist Assistant program at Gurnick Academy of Medical Arts requires one full academic year or 44 weeks or four quarters (terms). Students will take required general education and the related science courses prior to enrolling at Gurnick Academy.
The technical courses for the Physical Therapist Assistant Program are not designed to be transferable to a four-year institution. You are encouraged to take General Education classes that are transferable to a four-year institution. Students who plan to continue studies in a Physical Therapist program should consult the appropriate Physical Therapy school regarding class requirements.
The PTA Program is full time during the day. Clinical Affiliations are full time during the day at various facilities in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Application deadline is September 1, 2014 for the January 5, 2015 start date.
- Attend an Informational Open House
Open Houses are held monthly in the PTA lab/classroom on the San Mateo campus. These 1.5 hour sessions are conducted by the PTA Team and Admissions and provide specific information about admissions requirements, program and clinical rotation scheduling, and financial aid resources. A packet of registration documents will also be provided for you to complete and return on the day of your DISCOVER Assessment test.
Open House attendance is required for program eligibility. Please review The Essential Functions of a PTA.
- Sign up for a DISCOVER Assessment testing date during the Open House
On the day of your assessment test, you will be required to provide sealed official college transcripts showing the following completed coursework with grades of ‘C’ or above. Details of the pre-requisite requirements that are part of the selective criteria are further outlined below:
- Anatomy and Physiology with Lab (complete one-year sequence within the last 5 years)
- College-level Math
- English (reading and writing composition)
- Introduction to Psychology or Lifespan Psychology
- Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Oral Communication, Speech or Interpersonal Communication
You will also be required to provide the COMPLETED registration documents, Credit Granting Request Form, and proof of high school graduation (original diploma or official transcripts) to the Admissions Advisor on the day of the DISCOVER Assessment. You will not be allowed to take the Assessment that day without these documents.
- A minimum of 20 hours of observation, work experience, or volunteer experience at a physical therapy facility is required and must be documented. Verification of Observation Hours form is in the Application/Registration packet that you can download. Additional point consideration is given for hours above 20. Please submit to Admissions by the September 1 deadline.
- September 1: Deadline for all applications. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- September 1-15: The PTA Admissions Committee will review all applications and invite the 40 top scoring applicants for an interview. The interview criteria are based upon ‘Generic Abilities’ identified through a study published by the UW-Madison. These abilities are attributes leading to success in the field of Physical Therapy. Interviews will be scheduled for 15-20 minutes. Applicants are to arrive 20 minutes early to complete a short Applicant Essay and Pre-Admissions Questionnaire. Applicants will be reminded to complete their online FAFSA application for federal student aid.
- October 1: The formal program acceptance letter will be sent to the top 30 candidates + 10 ranked alternates. Candidate acceptance of a seat in the PTA program is required within 72 hours of receipt of the letter. Those selected must comply with all Gurnick Academy requirements for immunizations, health screening, background check, drug screen, and CPR policy prior to starting the program. Additional medical requirements may be required by the Clinical Site. All in progress work must be completed with a grade of ‘C’ prior to the start of the program and an official transcript provided.
- Successful candidates will meet with the Admissions Advisor to review and complete all required disclosures and program documents and pay the non-refundable $75 registration fee.
- The Financial Aid Advisor will meet with each candidate to arrange the necessary financial aid and payment plan documents prior to enrollment.
- Enrollment will be finalized with the Admissions Advisor by signing the Enrollment Agreement.
Those applicants that were not selected may re-apply. Please review the ‘Point System’ below to help you prepare.
Admission Point System
Program Length and Schedule
Including the technical and general courses into the total:
80 weeks (1713 Clock Hours/100.5 Quarter Credit Hours)
5 days varying Monday through Friday for up to 8 hours
The didactic training correlates with the lab and clinical education.
Total cost: $28,394.00
Financial aid is available for those who qualify. Click here for more information about Financial Assistance.
For details please call:
- (650) 685-6616 San Mateo
State Licensure for Physical Therapist Assistant
Find more information about Licensure, Certification and Registry Disclaimer.
Job Outlook and Salary for Physical Therapist Assistant
Frequently Asked Questions
Please click on the link for PTA program FAQ.
Facts and Fun Statistics
This is a new section for many of you who expressed interest in such facts as the ones below about our Academy and our Programs. PTA program is offered at San Mateo Campus only. Let us share with you some facts:
- More than 48% of our Main Campus, San Mateo campus: students come from Bay Area cities: Daly City, San Francisco, San Mateo, Hayward and South San Francisco. 29% from other Bay Area cities - Fremont, Newark, Redwood City, San Bruno, San Carlos, San Jose, San Leandro and Sunnyvale.
- Many students come from Concord, Oakland, Vallejo, Alameda, Berkeley, Dublin, Livermore, Pleasant Hill, Richmond, San Ramon, Vacaville and Walnut Creek.
- Some students come from Northern California and Central Valley cities: Fresno, Modesto, Merced, Stockton, Tracy, Turlock, Visalia, Santa Rosa and many others.
Gainful Employment Disclosure Information
Gurnick Academy is committed to providing thorough and timely vocational medical training to our students so they may obtain gainful employment.
Our institution has provided program specific information regarding gainful employment in compliance with the new Gainful Employment regulations for Title IV eligible institutions, put forward by the U.S. Department of Education, in July 2011.
All required information can be found throughout this page.