Physical Therapist Assistant Program - AS Degree
Available in the Following Campuses
Effective July 31,2013, the PTA program at Gurnick Academy of Medical Arts, has been granted Candidate for Accreditation status by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (1111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, VA, 22314; phone: 703-706-3245; email: firstname.lastname@example.org). Candidate for Accreditation is a pre-accreditation status of affiliation with the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education that indicates that the program may matriculate students in technical/professional courses and that the program is progressing toward accreditation. Candidate for Accreditation is not an accreditation status nor does it assure eventual accreditation.
Physical Therapist Assistants (PTAs) provide physical therapy services under the direction and supervision of a physical therapist. PTAs help individuals of all ages who are ill, injured or have a health condition that limits their ability to perform daily activities needed for life. PTAs work in variety of settings including hospitals, outpatient centers, home health, schools, work settings, and the sports and fitness arenas. Care provided by a PTA may include teaching patients/clients exercises for mobility, strength and coordination, training for activities such as walking with crutches, canes or walkers, massage, and the use of physical agents and electrotherapy such as ultrasound and electrical stimulation. PTAs must complete a 2-year associate's degree and are licensed, certified, or registered in most states. Source: .
All applicants must:
- Meet with program’s Admission Advisor to go over all required disclosures and receive full information prior to enrolling to Gurnick Academy of Medical Arts.
- Meet with Financial Aid Advisor to go over all required disclosures and receive full information prior to enrolling to Gurnick Academy of Medical Arts.
- Pay all applicable fees, as per the current published fee schedule prior to the issuance of an enrollment agreement or make other payment arrangements acceptable to the academy.
- Comply with program’s performance requirements. Make sure to read PTA Program’s performance requirements in Program Performance Requirements section.
- Attend an Informational Open House*
* Open Houses are held monthly at the PTA classroom at the Gurnick Academy San Mateo campus. Sessions are about 1 hour and will include details of the admissions process and requirements, resources, information about the field of Physical Therapy and the Physical Therapist Assistant, information about the program, policies and procedures, financial aid, and tour of the facilities. Attendance at one open house is required. Additional observations and exposure to a Physical Therapy facility is encouraged but not required.
- Complete the DISCOVER Health Occupations Readiness test.
- Submit an original transcript that proves equivalent coursework (see courses below) was successfully completed and given a grade of at least a “C”. All credit granting is subject to the approval from the Program Director or Program Coordinator. Please allow 7 days for review.
Anatomy and Physiology with lab (complete sequence, within the last 5 years)
Math (college level)
English (reading and writing composition)
Introduction to Psychology or Lifespan Psychology
One course in the Social and Behavioral Sciences
Oral Communication, Speech or Interpersonal Communication
- Please note: additional consideration is given to applicants who have completed and documented 20 or more hours of observation, work experience, or volunteer experience at a physical therapy facility.
- The highest scoring 50 applicants identified by the PTA admission Committee will be scheduled for interviews with members of the Admissions Committee. (Interview criteria are based upon Generic Abilities identified through a study at the UW-Madison. These abilities are attributes leading to success in the field of Physical Therapy). Interviews will be scheduled with the Admissions Committee for applicants that meet the minimal requirements. Interviews will last about 15-20 min. Please come at least 15 min before to complete a short Applicant Essay and pre-admission questionnaire.
- Selected applicants will be notified of acceptance. Those selected must comply with all Gurnick Academy requirements for Immunizations, Health Screening, Background Check, and CPR policy prior to starting the program.
- Those applicants that were not selected may re-apply. Please review the Point System below to see additional points for re-applicants.
Program Length and Schedule
11 month (44 weeks/1353 hours)
5 days varying Monday through Friday for up to 8 hours
The didactic training correlates with the lab and clinical education.
Total cost: $28,394.00
Additional costs may include: background check and drug screening ($67.00-$70.00), CPR certification, physical entrance exam, immunizations, board review course-estimate ($200.00), travel expenses to/from clinic sites.
Financial aid is available for those who qualify. Click here for more information about Financial Assistance.
For details please call:
- (650) 685-6616 San Mateo
State Licensure for Physical Therapist Assistant
Find more information about Licensure, Certification and Registry Disclaimer.
Job Outlook and Salary for Physical Therapist Assistant
Frequently Asked Questions
Please click on the link for PTA program FAQ.
Facts and Fun Statistics
This is a new section for many of you who expressed interest in such facts as the ones below about our Academy and our Programs. PTA program is offered at San Mateo Campus only. Let us share with you some facts:
- More than 48% of our Main Campus, San Mateo campus: students come from Bay Area cities: Daly City, San Francisco, San Mateo, Hayward and South San Francisco. 29% from other Bay Area cities - Fremont, Newark, Redwood City, San Bruno, San Carlos, San Jose, San Leandro and Sunnyvale.
- Many students come from Concord, Oakland, Vallejo, Alameda, Berkeley, Dublin, Livermore, Pleasant Hill, Richmond, San Ramon, Vacaville and Walnut Creek.
- Some students come from Northern California and Central Valley cities: Fresno, Modesto, Merced, Stockton, Tracy, Turlock, Visalia, Santa Rosa and many others.
Gainful Employment Disclosure Information
Gurnick Academy is committed to providing thorough and timely vocational medical training to our students so they may obtain gainful employment.
Our institution has provided program specific information regarding gainful employment in compliance with the new Gainful Employment regulations for Title IV eligible institutions, put forward by the U.S. Department of Education, in July 2011.
All required information can be found throughout this page.